Itinerary of the Sanctuaries and Churches
(photo by: PN Cinque Terre)
Tourist, Hiking, Skilled, Closed
The trail continues climbing up through a dense wood of holm oaks and chestnut trees until it reaches the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Soviore. Leaving the church to the left, the itinerary continues on trail 591, of which the first meters up to the intersection with SP 38 are unpaved. The trail then shares a stretch with the provincial road SP 38 until the place called il Termine, where a fork to the right leads off road along trail 582 to Reggio. The trail winds eastbound along the valleys between Monterosso and Vernazza, at an altitude spanning between 350 and 500 meters above sea level. The Mediterranean scrub is dense and the trail is, at times, difficult in the proximity of the place called Linaro. It is a single track trail, fairly level and characterized by breathtaking panoramas. Before arriving at the Sanctuary of Reggio it shares a stretch with the provincial road SP 63 Drignana - Vernazza, and offers a panoramic view over the village of Vernazza. Walking downhill on the provincial road, past the Sanctuary, a fork to the left near a bend leads off road along trail 581 toward San Bernardino. The first stretch uphill goes across vineyards and olive groves, and passes by a few hamlets. Then, from the place called Piculla, it continues almost flat into a wood, wading through the stream Vernazzola in a few points. The longest stretch of trail 581 passes over the hamlet of Murro Superiore, where the woody landscape is replaced by cultivated terraces and vineyards, then after another stretch through the woods it reaches the hamlet of Seroa and, past the intersection with the provincial road SP 61, ends in San Bernardino. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of San Bernardino offers the opportunity for a visit enriched by a beautiful sight. From San Bernardino the itinerary continues heading north-east along trail 507 toward Cigoletta. A difficult stretch of dirt track climbs uphill crossing twice the provincial roads SP 61 and SP 51 until it reaches the place called Fornacchi. After a few meters of paved floor the trail continues as a wide dirt track climbing up to the fork in Cigoletta, where it meets the AV5T, with which shares a short stretch. After passing by the intersection with trail 587 to Corniglia, from mount Marvede the itinerary takes trail 506 that descends to the village of Volastra. Dropping through woods of chestnut trees and holm oaks, the trail presents a few difficulties in the descent. A 10 minutes detour on trail 506 leads to Volastra and its Sanctuary, while the itinerary continues along trail 530 toward Telegrafo. A 7 km easy walk on a dirt road (open to vehicles) leads, via the intersection with trail SVA - 593, to the Sanctuary of Montenero, where the itinerary ends.
Points of Interest:
- Localities crossed: Monterosso, il Ciliegio, chapel called "del Ritrovamento", Sanctuary of Soviore, Termine, Sanctuary of Reggio, Case Pollazzo, Le Stalle, Teasca, Murro Superiore, Seroa, San Bernardino, Fornacchi, Cigoletta, sella Marvede, Case Bovera, Volastra, Cacinagora, Sanctuary of Montenero
- Archaeological evidence: Ancient remains of the original church of Soviore
- Ethnographical evidence: Ancient rural settlement and terraced area of Bovera, votive tabernacle of Madonna di Montenero, detour to the ancient settlement of Cacinagora
- Architectural, historical and artistic Beauties: Aurora tower, Sanctuary of Soviore, Sanctuary of Nostra Signora di Reggio, Sanctuary Nostra Signora delle Grazie, Church of Nostra Signora della Salute, Sanctuary of Montenero
- Services and shops: Monterosso, Santuario Soviore (seasonal), Volastra
- Points of water: Monterosso, Sanctuary of Soviore, Sanctuary of Reggio, San Bernardino, Volastra
More information at mappe.parconazionale5terre.it:
Please remember that walking on Cinque Terre National Park trails requires good weather, suitable shoes, and adequate training.