The Hiker's Handbook
Just a few simple rules to enjoy in safety the rich trail network of Cinque Terre Park
Evocative and extraordinary: such is Cinque Terre Park. And the best way to get to know it is by walking on its numerous cliff-side tracks, on trails running by small villages and across mountains that decline - abruptly, sometimes - towards the sea rocks and the transparent water. Here are some precautions for a safe hike.
1. Choose your trail according to your physical conditions and technical skills.
2. Study the trail characteristics on a topographic map (distance, difference in elevation, springs, fountains, huts, etc.).
3. Ask for information on the trail's actual accessibility:
And by visiting
4. Make sure your clothes and equipment are suitable for the hike's length and difficulty.
OPEN FOOTWEAR AND/OR SMOOTH SOLES, I.E. NOT ANTI-SLIP (SUCH AS VIBRAM TYPE) ARE FORBIDDEN. THE TRANSGRESSORS WILL BE PUNISHED ACCORDING TO PARAGRAPH 2, ARTICLE 30, LAW 394/91 AND SS.MM.II
"On the trails it is compulsory to wear closed, waterproof and ankle covering shoes, with an anti-slip sole."
5. Don't forget to include the necessary equipment for potential emergency situationsas well as a small first aid kit.
6. Don't go on a hike by yourself, and anyway inform a trusted person about your planned itinerary.
7. Consult the weather forecast on our weather page or on the website www.meteomont.org.
8. If you have doubts, go back. It is sometimes better to quit a hike rather than running the risks of bad weather. Please remember that it is however prohibited to walk on the trails in case of adverse weather conditions, as you may endanger yourself and others.
IN CASE OF YELLOW WEATHER WARNING, THE PARK COULD DECIDE TO SUSPEND THE SALE OF CINQUE TERRE TREKKING CARD ACCORDING TO WEATHER CONDITIONS (BOTH AT THE WELCOME CENTERS AND ONLINE)
IN CASE OF ORANGE/RED WEATHER WARNING, THE PARK WILL SUSPEND THE SALE OF ALL SERVICE CARDS (BOTH AT THE WELCOME CENTERS AND ONLINE)
9.Take your garbage back with you andprefer canteen to plastic bottles.
10. Respect plants and animals. Respect local culture and traditions.
11. Don't leave the marked path.
12. In case of emergency, call 112 (first aid service).
IMPORTANT. Before undertake a hike visit the page with all the information on the Park's trail network updated in real time: by going to the link CINQUE TERRE HIKING GUIDE, you can find all the thematic routes, the vertical paths, of the coast and of the ridge, with the relative data sheets, (practicability, difficulty level, travel times, points of interest). AVOID LINES, buy Cinque Terre Card online.